History of Ralph's Rabbit Ranch

History of Ralph's Rabbit Ranch

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Always Dress Appropriately - We Do

Visitors who come out to the ranch are often amazed to find that we all wear uniforms to work. The handles, the breeders, the feeders and the office staff all wear a special Rabbit Ranch uniform. Below is a story that illustrates why it is important for everyone to dress appropriately for work.

Years ago a naval vessel was out at sea and the Captain was abruptly awakened by his first mate who was yelling "Captain, Captain there’s a Spanish galleon rapidly approaching". The Captain jumped out of bed and raced to the deck. Sure enough there on the horizon was a large Spanish galleon heading straight for his ship.

"Quick” shouted the Captain, to his first mate “run down to my quarters and bring me my red silk shirt." "Captain” cried the new first mate "now is not the time to worry about how you look". Again the Captain barked - "Go to my quarters you fool and get my red silk shirt – now don't argue with me". Reluctantly, the first mate ran down to the Captain's quarters and returned with the Captain’s red silk shirt. The Captain removed his white shirt and put on his red silk shirt.

Within minutes a battled ensued with the Spanish ship. Bullets and cannon balls flew everywhere and after several minutes the Spanish galleon broke off its attack. The crew turned to their Captain and let out a mighty cheer. After the jubilation subsided the first mate approached the Captain and apologized for his hesitancy in following his order but asked “Captain, why was it so important you wore a red silk shirt during the battle”?

The Captain replied, I am the leader of this vessel and the crew depends. Had I have been hit by a stray bullet or struck by a piece shrapnel blood may have seeped out on my white shirt. If members of the crew had seen their leader bleeding they may have lost their courage and will to fight. They may have given up and we could have easily lost this battle.

However, if I were hit and bled while wearing this red silk shirt none of the men would have never known I was hit. They would have continued to fight with valor until their death. “Wow” said the first mate “I never thought of that Captain. I promise I will never question your orders again”.

A few days later the first mate again ran down to the Caption’s quarters and announced “Captain, Captain there is a French Frigate headed towards us and she’s a big one Captain, the biggest frigate I have ever seen.

The Captain ran up to the deck and clearly saw the silhouette of frigate on the horizon; she was indeed a big one, the biggest frigate the Captain had ever seen. All of her 16 guns were manned and she was sailing straight for them. “Captain what should we do?” asked the first mate. “Quick, run downstairs to my quarters and bring me back my dark brown pants” was his reply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @Ralphsranch